Feeling uncomfortable fasting at work? You are not alone, so do I! Whether it is based on not wanting co-workers to think you’re crazy or to avoid the Pharisees’ sin of deliberately drawing attention to oneself, here are 5 tips to get you through the work day:
1) Let a few close Christian friends know you are fasting and ask that they pray for you. You will be under attack and need the prayers of others when you feel alone and tempted.
2) If you are asked why you are not eating, people will be satisfied with an answer of “I have other plans for lunch”. Most people won’t realize you are skipping meals.
3) Schedule a meeting for yourself during lunch or find a quiet place during times you’d eat to read the Bible or listen to Christian radio. This may be in your car or in a meeting room.
4) Make a point to act normal (Matt. 6:17-18). This will also help you to not focus on any negative side-effects during your fast.
5) PRAY! This seems obvious but cannot be overdone during fasting. It’s your life-line.
Matthew 6:16-18 16 “Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 17 But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, 18 so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.